What Is The Genetic Research Consortium?


The Kawasaki Disease Genetic Research Consortium was formed to promote research that investigates the possible causes of Kawasaki disease from a variety of perspectives. It focuses on the genetic characteristics of patients with Kawasaki disease.
Although the exact causes of Kawasaki disease are unclear, we do know that:


These facts indicate that there may be a genetic cause for Kawasaki disease. This might explain why some people are vulnerable to the disease and others aren't. To test this theory, we are now collecting genetic information from people who have Kawasaki disease, or have had it in the past, to determine if there is anything in their genetic makeup that makes them vulnerable to the disease or makes it easier to cure Kawasaki disease once a person gets it. With this research, we hope to find the causes of the disease, and to develop better cures for those who suffer from it.



What Are Genes?

Our genes are inherited from our parents and they determine many of our physical and behavioral characteristics, including our facial appearance and body shape, as well as our personality and vulnerability to diseases. Information on these characteristics is contained within our genes. In our body, this genetic information is contained in deoxyribonucleic acid, or DNA. DNA has a double-helix structure and contains a great deal of information about a person's makeup.
Recent research has shown that parents and their child share 99.9% of their DNA, and that it is only the remaining 0.1% that results in differences in personality traits, facial features, and other physical characteristics. It has also recently been discovered that this 0.1% difference can alter our resistance to certain diseases and modify the effectiveness of certain medications. Understanding these genetic differences in people might make it easier to develop suitable treatments for individual cases of a given disease.